Liposuction is one of the most popular procedures performed by a cosmetic surgeon in the US. The surgery should be preceded by thorough pre-op preparation in order to create a solid foundation for a successful and predictable procedure.
The surgeon will explain to the patient the steps involved in preparation, and the patient should make an effort to follow the instructions carefully.
A well-prepared patient is likely to have more confidence about the liposuction surgery, and will approach the surgery in a more pragmatic manner.
Patients with adequate preparation typically achieve higher satisfaction levels at the end of the procedure. Dr. Paul McCluskey is an experienced plastic surgeon providing liposuction and other procedures to patients in Atlanta, GA and surrounding communities and cities in this part of Georgia.
Before the Surgery
The patient should ideally complete the following tasks well in advance once their candidacy has been determined and the cosmetic surgeon has given a date for the scheduled surgery:
- Arrange for the past health records from the doctor and specialists to be delivered to the surgeon’s office.
- Prepare a list of the ongoing medications, including blood thinners, NSAIDs, prescription drugs, as well as vitamins and herbal supplements to show to the surgeon.
- Get any x-rays or other lab tests as recommended by the surgeon.
- Adjust the schedule of ongoing prescription medications in consultation with the doctor, if required.
- Refrain from smoking for a specified time period prior to liposuction surgery, as advised by the surgeon.
- Complete any pressing tasks at the workplace or home well in advance to make way for a stress-free recovery period.
- Arrange for someone to drive the patient back home after the liposuction procedure.
- If necessary, arrange for aftercare for the first few days after the surgery.
Adhering to the surgeon’s guidelines for preparation and post-op recovery will improve the chances of a successful liposuction surgery and safe recovery.
A Day before the Surgery
A few basic tips can be followed just one day prior to the liposuction procedure. The patient may receive instructions about this from the surgeon’s staff:
- Have a good day’s rest and sleep well on the night before the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours before the surgery.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- Avoid wearing makeup, jewelry, nail paint, body piercings, or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Wear loose fitting and comfortable garments on way to the surgery center. If liposuction is required for the upper body, wear a top with buttons in the front.
- If the patient is a diabetic, they should get their vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
Many patients are likely to have mild pre-operative anxiety a day prior to the surgery. The surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken on the night before the surgery. Dedicated and profound plastic surgeon Dr. McCluskey receives patients from Atlanta, GA and nearby areas for liposuction surgery.