Skin Removal Surgery
Skin can become inelastic or loose or over time due to massive weight loss, aging factors, or pregnancy. Sometimes this excessive skin may even hang off the body, giving a deflated look. The unsightly skin folds of loose skin may lead to chafing, discomfort, infection, or general irritation. Skin removal surgery is a proven and effective solution to correct this problem.
Plastic surgeon Dr. Paul McCluskey provides skin removal surgery to patients in Atlanta, Buckhead, Georgia, and surrounding locations.
Types of Skin Removal Surgery
Based on the extent of loose skin and the location of the problem areas, your surgeon will suggest the right skin removal cosmetic surgery procedure. The popular types of skin surgery procedures may include:
- Body Contouring: This involves removal of stubborn fat pockets along with excess skin as well as reshaping of the underlying loose tissue. You can achieve youthful, smooth contours with this surgery after major weight loss.
- Abdominoplasty: Tummy tuck plastic surgery or abdominoplasty involves the elimination of loose skin around the abdomen and waist. The procedure can also include repair of separated or weak underlying abdominal muscles.
- Mommy Makeover: This comprehensive surgery combines multiple procedures to restore a woman’s pre-pregnancy figure. Skin removal surgery is usually a key element in this procedure.
- Body Lift: Upper or lower body lift or a full body lift can be performed to remove large amounts of loose and hanging skin in areas such as the waist, love handles, thighs, buttocks, hips and upper arms.
Candidacy for Skin Removal Surgery
- People who are bothered by the unwanted effects of significant weight loss on their skin
- Individuals whose weight has become stable after a massive weight loss
- The loose skin has lost a considerable amount of elasticity
- People who are non-smokers or committed to stop smoking for a specified time period
Who is not a Candidate for this Surgery?
- People whose body weight is still fluctuating after weight loss
- Women who plan to have a pregnancy in the foreseeable future
- Women who are currently breastfeeding
- People with certain medical conditions that increase their risk of surgery
Skin Removal Surgery – Procedure Steps
The skin removal plastic surgery procedure can be customized according to your unique needs. In general, this procedure may include these steps:
- You will be administered general anesthesia
- Your surgeon will place the incisions in pre-determined locations
- The surgeon will eliminate loose skin through the incisions
- The surgeon will reshape, tighten and re-drape the remaining skin smoothly over the area to create firmer contours
- The incisions will be closed with sutures
- The treated areas will be covered with bandages
Recovery and Results
You will be able to see noticeable results within a few weeks as the bruising and swelling resolves and the new contours take shape. The final results will be aesthetically appealing, and you will feel more youthful about your body. Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Paul McCluskey receives patients from Atlanta, Buckhead, Georgia, and nearby areas for skin removal surgery and various other cosmetic, plastic, and reconstructive procedures.
Contact Atlanta Plastic Surgeon Dr. Paul McCluskey for a Consultation
Serving patients in and around Marietta, Atlanta, Buckhead, Morningside/Lenox Park, Virginia-Highland, Roswell, Candler Park, Midtown, Inman Park, Poncey-Highland, Ormewood Park, Roswell, Georgia and other surrounding areas.