Nose reshaping surgery is an intricate procedure that takes around two hours to perform. But the results of the procedure establish over a period of time following a significant recovery process.
The recovery is an integral part of any surgery, including nose reshaping surgery. The patient should follow the surgeon’s guidelines meticulously to attain desirable results.
The cosmetic surgeon will inform the patient on various aspects of rhinoplasty surgery during the pre-op consultation process, including its approximate downtime and recovery. The patient should freely ask questions and express their concerns to make a well-informed choice.
Reliable plastic surgeon Dr. Paul McCluskey provides nose reshaping surgery to patients in Atlanta, Buckhead, Georgia, and other towns and cities in this outstanding region of the country.
Planning for the Recovery
A patient who has planned well for the post-op recovery will enjoy a more comfortable and stress-free recovery period while being able to focus on their healing. The following simple steps can help patients have a faster and safer recovery:
- Ask a responsible person to drive them back home after the rhinoplasty.
- Arrange for aftercare for the initial few days of the recovery period, if necessary.
- Working professionals should prepare to take almost one week off from their work and a further two weeks with restricted physical activity.
- The patient should keep a stock of ice packs at home which can help reduce the initial inflammation.
- Make sure to undertake any urgent tasks at home or the workplace ahead of the surgery in order to enjoy a comfortable and relaxed recovery period.
The patient’s ability to follow the cosmetic surgeon’s guidelines closely during the recovery period will have a significant impact on the outcomes of the rhinoplasty. The patient can use the following tips to minimize their discomfort during the recovery phase:
- Remain hydrated and intake sufficient amounts of fluids.
- Apply ice packs in the initial two days post-surgery.
- Get some rest at home during the first week after the rhinoplasty but perform gentle walks and light activities within the home to promote proper blood flow. You don’t want to be playing vigorously with your 100 pound Labrador right about now that is for sure!
- Do not undertake vigorous activities or lift heavy weights for one month. This is not the time to repaint your home or try to build a new fence around your backyard.
- Reach out to the surgeon in case of any unusual symptoms.
Common symptoms that patients may experience in the initial few days post-surgery are bruising, inflammation, headaches, and nosebleeds.
The surgeon may prescribe pain meds for the first week to manage the discomfort. The patient should rest with their head in an upright position for the initial 24 hours and avoid blowing their nose for the initial two or three days after the surgery.
During the follow-up appointment at the end of week one, the surgeon will assess the level of healing in the patient. They may remove sutures and nasal packing during this appointment. While the bruising will dissipate in the second week, the inflammation may remain for a more extensive period.
A majority of patients can resume their routine or return to work after one week. However, they should avoid sports and aggressive exercises for nearly four weeks after the surgery.
Dedicated plastic surgeon Dr. Paul McCluskey receives patients from Atlanta, Buckhead, Georgia, and nearby areas for nose reshaping surgery.
For more information on procedures and treatments offered by Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Paul McCluskey and the Plastic Surgery Institute of Atlanta, visit:
Serving patients in and around Atlanta, Buckhead, Roswell, Marietta, Georgia and surrounding areas.