Accumulation of unwanted fat tissue and loose skin in the abdominal area is one of the most common cosmetic concerns for today’s women and men. Overweight tendencies, heredity factors, and pregnancy may contribute to this problem. Tummy tuck surgery or abdominoplasty may be recommended by a cosmetic surgeon to restore a firmer and flatter midsection.
At the time of pre-op consultation, the surgeon will carefully assess the patient’s candidacy for this procedure. Dr. Paul McCluskey is a dedicated and accomplished plastic surgeon providing tummy tuck surgery. Patients in Atlanta, GA and surrounding locations have an opportunity to receive tummy tuck from Dr. McCluskey.
Who should receive Tummy Tuck?
Any healthy adult who is bothered by the appearance of unsightly creases, folds and sagging skin in the midsection area, or suffers from underlying weak or separated abdominal muscles due to lack of exercise or weight fluctuations, may be a suitable candidate for tummy tuck procedure by a qualified cosmetic surgeon.
Pregnancy is one of the major factors among women, which can cause stretched tissue in the midsection or separated abdominal muscles. Women who want to restore their pre-pregnancy abdominal appearance may make good candidates for abdominoplasty. Candidates should know that it is not a weight loss surgery, but only a body contouring procedure.
Characteristics of a Stellar Candidate
Candidates with the following characteristics will usually benefit the most from tummy tuck surgery:
- Not having any untreated medical condition that could pose risk during surgery or caused delayed healing.
- Feel embarrassed about the appearance of sagging contours in the waist area and loose skin.
- Stubborn fat pockets in the abdomen that are resistant to exercise and diet.
- Non-smoker or committed to quit smoking for several weeks before and after tummy tuck.
- Having a positive mindset, clear aesthetic priorities and reasonable expectations.
- Committed to maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle and following the recovery instructions of the surgeon.
Committed plastic surgeon Dr. McCluskey receives patients from Atlanta, GA and nearby areas for abdominoplasty.
Candidate’s Personal Commitment
The candidate’s discipline and personal commitment will make a key difference to the final outcome of a procedure such as tummy tuck surgery. An ideal candidate will diligently follow these recommendations of the surgeon:
- Avoid smoking for a specified time period before and after the tummy tuck surgery.
- Disclose all relevant details about the current health condition as well as medical history.
- Stop the use of any prescription or non-prescription drugs, including herbal supplements as advised by the surgeon.
- Have no near-term plans for a pregnancy after the procedure.
- Have no plans to undergo a weight loss procedure shortly after the surgery.
- Have a strong personal motivate to choose tummy tuck procedure without being unduly influenced by another person.
A few candidates may be genetically predisposed to having excess fat deposits in the midsection area. They may need to undergo tummy tuck plastic surgery even though they maintain a fairly active and balanced lifestyle.