Out of the several cosmetic and corrective surgeries done all over the world, rhinoplasty or nose correction is the most popular procedures done. Just correcting the way a nose looks can change a person’s entire appearance and also solve respiratory problems, for those who suffer from them. This is a relatively minor surgery that has a major impact and is in high demand. Read on to know more about this procedure.
What to discuss with the plastic surgeon
Although this is simpler than other plastic surgeries conducted, you must discuss every angle of a rhinoplasty with a reputed plastic or cosmetic surgeon. Most of us are aware that appearances can be altered with this surgery, but you should also know that certain respiratory problems also require patients to get their noses corrected. The nose gets its shape from the bones and cartilage supporting it. So the surgery mainly is to make adjustments to them and nose tissue.
Dr. Paul McCluskey, who has treated several patients in Atlanta, GA successfully, attributes his success to the helpful inputs he receives from his patients. The clearer they are with what they want, the easier it becomes for him to make the changes. Some of the things included in the checklist before the surgery are:
- What kind of look you are aiming to achieve with the surgery
- If there are respiratory problems you want corrected
- Your past medical history and any allergies that you may have
- What kind of medicines you are currently taking, including any food supplements you taking such as vitamins and herbs and so on
- Your alcohol, tobacco and drug use, if any.
Steps of the surgery
The surgery can be listed in a few simple steps:
- You consult your surgeon and decide what your objectives out of the procedure are.
- You get local or general anesthesia, depending on the extent of the surgery required, the more extensive ones require general anesthesia.
- The surgeon makes the incision within the nose (closed procedure) or across the thin strip of skin between the nostrils at the base of the nose – the columella (open procedure).
- The cartilage within the nose is then added to or removed, depending on whether you want to just correct the look of the nose or make it sharper. Cartilage, if to be added, is taken from the ear or the rib can be used on the septum, the ridge in the middle of the nose.
- If the septum is crooked, that can be corrected too.
- Once the necessary changes are done, the skin as well as tissues are replaced on the new structure and the incisions are covered up.
The nose is then wrapped with bandages for some time so it can heal quickly.Getting rhinoplasty done does not take much time and the benefits remain forever. By taking a few simple steps, you can improve the look of your face and breathe more easily. Recovery time is very short and you can lead a relatively normal life shortly after the surgery. So go ahead and get in touch with your plastic surgeon today to get more details about it!
For more information on treatments and procedures offered offered by Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Paul McCluskey visit: