The neck lift has emerged as a popular procedure in recent years, particularly as it gives the effect of an overall slimmer facial and neck profile. The procedure is relatively less invasive, but it still involves a significant amount of preparation to ensure safe and predictable results. During the initial consultation, the cosmetic surgeon will discuss about the steps involved in preparation.
Well-prepared patients will usually achieve a higher level of satisfaction in the end from a procedure such as neck lift. The patient should be willing to follow the surgeon’s advice carefully, and create the foundation for a successful surgery. Dr. Paul McCluskey is a dedicated plastic surgeon providing neck lift and other surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures to patients in Atlanta, GA and surrounding communities.
Steps for Preparation
Prior to the scheduled day of surgery, the patient should take the following preparatory steps:
- Arrange to send the past medical records to the office of the cosmetic surgeon and inform details of their current health condition.
- Prepare a list of all medications, both prescription and non-prescription, and herbal supplements and vitamins for presentation before the surgeon.
- Undergo any diagnostic x-ray or lab tests as instructed by the surgeon.
- Adjust the prescription drug schedule in consultation with the primary care physician.
- Stop smoking for a certain period of time as advised by the surgeon.
- Complete any pressing major tasks at home or office in advance before the surgery in order to remain stress-free during the post-operative recovery.
- Arrange for transportation to return home safely after the outpatient neck lift procedure.
- Preferably arrange for aftercare for at least the first two or three days after neck lift.
- Apply for leave from the workplace for about one week.
The patient should have a clear commitment to adhere to the surgeon’s pre- and post-operative guidelines as a part of the preparation process.
One Day before Surgery
The following tips should be followed just a day prior to the neck lift surgery:
- Take adequate rest and have a full night’s sleep before the surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything for eight hours before the surgery.
- Avoid the use of alcohol for about 48 hours prior to the surgery.
- Do not wear any makeup, jewelry, nail paint, body piercings, or contact lenses on the day of the surgery.
- Choose loose fitting top with front button to wear on the day of the surgery.
- Diabetic patients should have their vital parameters checked on the morning of the surgery.
It is natural to have some degree of pre-operative stress and anxiety for most patients. The surgeon may prescribe a calming medication to be taken the night before the neck lift surgery. Patients can think ahead and make advancement arrangements at home for the post-op recovery phase.
They can keep a stock of pain medications, pillows, loose fitting clothes, ice packs, and other essential items at home. Some patients even like to set up their personal ‘recovery station’ near their bedside. Experienced plastic surgeon Dr. McCluskey receives patients from Atlanta, GA and nearby areas.
For more information on procedures and treatments offered by Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Paul McCluskey and the Plastic Surgery Institute of Atlanta, visit: